The Ultimate How-To Guide to Using CBD Tincture
New to using CBD tincture and unsure where to begin? Start right here, with the ultimate how-to guide covering every question you might have, but have been afraid to ask.
The big wide world of CBD therapy is constantly changing, with new studies, new technology, and new opinions coming out at a breakneck pace. With all this data flooding the online CBD community, it might be a bit hard to navigate exactly what taking CBD tincture entails - especially for the first-time user. You might even be wondering what a CBD tincture is, which is a perfectly reasonable question, and the first question we are going to tackle.
What is CBD Tincture?
Let’s break this question down into two parts, first what is a tincture? A tincture is an extraction made from plants, which removes the most valuable compound(s) into a stronger formulation. Tinctures require a carrier to transport and “carry” the extracted compound. Alcohol and plant based oil being the most common. Tinctures are almost exclusively used for oral treatments, and are predominantly found within the health food, supplement and alternative medicine industries.
Cannabidiol, or CBD, is one of nearly 80 known phytocannabinoids found within the cannabis sativa plant. Although a relatively new revelation within the medical marijuana sector, it is making waves around the world because it is able to provide powerful health benefits without the psychoactive symptoms triggered by THC.
Cannabidiol tinctures are one of the most effective and easiest ways to take CBD as they require no additional apparatuses, and can safely be taken by anyone. There are currently three different extraction methods used within the industry, and needless to say some are better than others.
- The first, and most rudimentary method is through a cold press, which essentially grinds the seeds to produce a hemp oil that is relatively mild in terms of its CBD content.
- The next step up is extraction through either ethanol or olive oil. This method ensures a healthy cannabinoid content, however ethanol contains chlorophyll which tends to taste rather strong. Olive oil is a better tasting alternative but cannot be concentrated.
- One of the best options, but also one of the most expensive, is through a complex process called supercritical CO2 extraction. This produces a clean, concentrated final produce with a full spectrum of cannabinoids. This is considered one of the best options currently available, for maximum benefit.
Why are CBD Tinctures Popular?
The popularity of CBD has grown very quickly, partially because CBD is safe to use for almost anyone, including children, working professionals, seniors and even your family dog. It's so safe to use because it doesn’t cause the sensation of being high which is often associated with the other popular compound, THC. Cannabidiol has basically no serious side effects, and studies have shown it is virtually impossible to overdose on it. The primary reported side effect is the way it triggers a sensation of calm and relaxation.
Another main reason why it is suddenly so popular, is because unlike medical marijuana, it is legal nationwide (as well as in many, many, other countries). This is because it is usually processed from industrial hemp, which is legal to grow, sell, and consume in America. This circumvents its labeling as marijuana, a Schedule I illicit drug at the federal level.
A Step-by-Step Guide
- First things first, all brands have different extraction methods, and different strengths. Do some research ahead of time into what dosage to start with. A good rule of thumb is to start low, and slowly increase until the desired results are met.
- Because CBD comes from an all-natural plant source, it has a shelf life. Always ensure to follow the proper storage instructions and look for brands that are sold in dark glass dropper bottles which will help prolong the lifespan.
- As the CBD tincture sits, it will inevitably settle to the bottom (depending on what extraction method was used). Before use, shake well to ensure the cannabinoids are thoroughly mixed.
- Squeeze the pipette, and allow it to fill with the appropriate dose. While it’s highly recommended to do your research before hand, if your doses are not perfectly exact each and every time, it will not cause any harmful side effects.
- Squeeze the liquid into your mouth. Depending on brand, the unaltered taste can be a bit much for some people, but in order to receive the full benefit from the tincture it's important to hold in your mouth for at least 60 seconds. Because of this, many people either purchase flavoured CBD tinctures, or allow the liquid to sit under their tongue for the absorption period. Swallow any excess oil.
- Repeat as needed throughout the day.
For the first-time user, the results can vary when you begin. It's important to start small, go slow, and most importantly be patient as you find your perfect personal dose. Depending on strength, body type, and symptoms being treated, the dosage guidelines tend to fluctuate between different people. Pay close attention to any change in your own symptoms to better guide you towards finding a perfect dose.